Truck accidents occur when a large commercial truck is involved in a motor vehicle accident. Because of the enormous size and weight of commercial trucks and large trailers, truck accidents cause about 5,000 fatalities every year in the United States. Because of the enormous damages that result from truck accident claims, it is essential that you hire an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible after the truck accident occurs. Truck accident attorney Richard Griffin knows that a proper investigation of the truck accident as soon as possible can make all the difference in proving the liability that is required for a successful truck accident personal injury claim.
Surprising truck accident statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) include the following:
1. There are about 500,000 big truck accidents every year in the U.S.
2. Truck accidents cause about 5,000 fatalities every year in the U.S.
3. About 12% of all fatalities that result from auto accidents involve commercial trucks.
4. There are 123,918 commercial trucks and 13,263 commercial buses involved in auto accidents that do not involve deaths.
5. There are 123,918 large trucks and 13,263 buses involved in auto accidents without fatalities.
6. There are 49,084 large trucks and 7,123 buses involved in auto accidents that result in injuries.
7. There are 74,834 large trucks and 6,140 buses involved in auto accidents where one or more vehicles had to be towed from the scene.
8. About 68% of big truck accidents involving fatalities happen in rural areas.
9. About 66% of truck accidents involving deaths happen during the day.
- About 78% of the total fatal truck accidents happened on the weekend.
What are some of the leading negligent actions taken in truck accident claims?
1. Distracted driving:
2. Driving while sleepy:
3. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI drivers);
4. Aggressive driving;
5. Speeding or too fast for conditions;
6. Driving carelessly in a work zone;
7. Improper lane changes;
8. Improper backing;
9. Failure to yield;
- Improper u-turns;
- Reckless driving;
- Other negligent and reckless driving.
How can you get a free consultation for your truck accident personal injury claim?
We encourage you to call us or email us about your case if you would like to have a free consultation regarding your Truck Accident Personal Injury Case.